It can be difficult to connect the Non-Apple monitor with a Mac device without an HDMI port. You can still convert the HDMI to either the Mini DisplayPort or the Thunderbolt by using an adaptor.
It depends on the specifications of the machine. You have the option to connect to an external monitor using the USB 3.0 port on the MacBook Air.
Connectivity with an Apple monitor
It is easier to connect an Apple monitor to the Mac mini than to a non-Apple monitor due to their incompatibility. Non-Apple devices use different connectors. Locate the Thunderbolt port and Mini DisplayPort on your Macbook laptop.
It depends on the model and the age of your machine. Some models have a USB port, while others use the Mini DisplayPort. After you have located the ports, take the cable and plug it into the appropriate port.
To establish a connection, turn on both devices. Make sure the laptop recognizes the second monitor. If these methods fail, you can try connecting with another Apple monitor.
Connection to the non-Apple monitor
An HDMI cable is the best way to connect a non-Apple monitor and Mac. If your Mac mini does not have an HDMI port, you can use an HDMI cable. In all cases, an adaptor is required to convert the HDMI to the Mini DisplayPort and Thunderbolt.
It depends on the machine that you have. If your monitor is an older model, you might not be able to use the HDMI port. You will need to manage the DVI. To connect to the DVI adaptor, you will need a mini display port.
The simple USB-C digital HDMI multiport adaptor can also be used to connect all USB A and USB C devices.
Step by step process:
- After you have verified that the adaptors and cables are working properly, connect the Mac mini to the computer. The second monitor is located on the right-hand side of your desktop.
- To change it, go to settings and then options.
- Go to System Preferences. It is visible in the grey icon.
- Once you have reached that point, click the first icon in the second row. It will have the title “displays” as well as the stylized monitor.
- Click on the button to open the windows.
- As you can see, the main screen will show icons for the two monitors that are connected to the system.
- Next, you will need to choose a variety of arrangements and display preferences. You will be able to move the items around freely and choose the configuration you prefer. Drag the main menu bar between the monitor icons. You will be able to open one of the monitors as the main monitor. The main monitor will always be the one showing you a new Windows.
- You can also play with the mirror display option. You can add a monitor to the extension.
How to connect two monitors on a Mac mini
The steps above will help you resolve the problem of connecting two monitors to your Mac mini. You should still be careful to choose the correct adaptor for the connection between the devices. Although the initial task can be frustrating, the result will be worth it.