Being a parent is one of the most rewarding experiences in life. Unfortunately, sometimes parents face unexpected complications during childbirth. If your child has experienced a birth injury, it’s important to get the legal help you need from an experienced Philadelphia birth injury attorney. Birth injuries can have long-term impacts on a child’s physical and mental development and their quality of life, as well as put a financial strain on families. In this blog post, we’ll discuss the services offered by a Philadelphia birth injury attorney and how they can help you protect your family’s rights.
What are birth injuries?
Birth injuries are defined as any physical injury or trauma that a baby sustains during the birthing process. These injuries can occur during any stage of labor and delivery, including before, during, or after the delivery itself.
Some of the most common birth injuries include:
· Fractures: Broken bones are one of the most common types of birth injuries. Babies’ bones are much softer and more pliable than adults’, so they are more susceptible to fractures during the birthing process.
· Brain damage: Another common type of birth injury is brain damage. This can occur when the baby is deprived of oxygen during labor and delivery. Brain damage can lead to a host of problems, including cerebral palsy, mental retardation, and learning disabilities.
· Spinal cord damage: Damage to the spinal cord can also occur during labor and delivery. This can cause paralysis, loss of sensation, and other serious problems.
How common are birth injuries?
There are many different types of birth injuries, but some are more common than others. For example, bruises and cuts are relatively common, while more serious injuries like fractures and brain damage are less so.
The exact frequency of birth injuries is difficult to determine, as there is no centralized database tracking such events. However, a 2008 study estimated that about 5% of all births in the United States involve some sort of injury to the child.
Some factors can increase the risk of a birth injury occurring. These include things like premature birth, multiple births (such as twins or triplets), and complications during labor and delivery. Additionally, certain medical interventions like the use of forceps or vacuum extraction can also increase the chances of an injury happening.
If your child has suffered a birth injury, you may be feeling overwhelmed and uncertain of what to do next. An experienced Philadelphia birth injury attorney can help you understand your legal options and fight for the compensation you deserve.
What are the most common types of birth injuries?
There are many different types of birth injuries that can occur, but some are more common than others. Here are some of the most common types of birth injuries:
1. Brachial plexus injury: This is a type of nerve damage that can occur when the baby’s shoulder is forced down during delivery. This can lead to paralysis or weakness in the arm and hand on the affected side.
2. Skull fractures: These can occur if the baby’s head is forced through the birth canal without proper support. They may also happen if forceps or vacuum extractors are used during delivery.
3. Cerebral palsy: This is a neurological condition that can be caused by oxygen deprivation during delivery, infection, or head trauma. It can lead to muscle weakness, impaired coordination, and other problems.
4. Erb’s palsy: This is another type of brachial plexus injury that can occur when the baby’s neck is stretched during delivery. It can cause partial or complete paralysis of the arm on the affected side.
5. Spinal cord injury: This can occur if the baby’s spine is damaged during delivery. It can cause paralysis below the site of the injury and potentially even death.
Who is at risk for birth injuries?
There are many different factors that can contribute to the risk of a birth injury. Some of the most common include:
-The mother’s age: Women who are younger than 20 or older than 35 are at an increased risk for giving birth to a baby with a birth injury.
-The mother’s health: Women who have chronic health conditions like diabetes or hypertension are more likely to have a child with a birth injury.
-The pregnancy: Pregnancies that are considered high-risk due to factors like multiple gestation, preterm labor, or intrauterine growth restriction are more likely to result in a birth injury.
-The delivery: Difficult or prolonged deliveries can increase the risk of birth injuries. Factors that can contribute to this include things like shoulder dystocia, breech presentation, and use of forceps or vacuum extraction during delivery.
How can you prevent birth injuries?
There are many things that you can do to help prevent birth injuries. One of the most important things is to make sure that you are getting regular prenatal care. This means seeing your doctor or midwife for checkups and screenings throughout your pregnancy.
Another important thing to do is to avoid risky behaviors during pregnancy, such as smoking, drinking alcohol, or using drugs. These substances can all increase the risk of birth defects and other problems.
It’s also important to eat a healthy diet and get plenty of rest during pregnancy. This will help your body to be strong and better able to handle the stress of childbirth.
Finally, make sure to follow your doctor’s instructions during labor and delivery. This includes things like pushing when you’re told to, and not pushing too hard. By following these tips, you can help reduce the risk of birth injuries.
What to do if your child has a birth injury
If your child has a birth injury, the first thing you should do is contact a Philadelphia birth injury attorney. A birth injury attorney can help you determine whether or not your child’s injuries were caused by negligence on the part of the hospital or medical staff, and if so, they can help you get the compensation you deserve.
If you think that your child’s injuries were caused by negligence, the first step is to gather all of your medical records and any other evidence that you have. Once you have gathered this information, you should then contact a Philadelphia birth injury attorney to discuss your case. An experienced birth injury attorney will be able to review your case and help you determine if you have a valid claim.
Philadelphia Birth Injury Attorneys
If you or your child has suffered a birth injury in Philadelphia, you may be entitled to compensation. The experienced Philadelphia birth injury attorneys at The Beasley Firm can help you fight for the justice and financial compensation you deserve.
Birth injuries can occur during pregnancy, childbirth, or immediately after delivery. They can be caused by many factors, including medical negligence, dangerous drugs or medical devices, or defective products. If you believe your child’s birth injury was caused by someone else’s negligence, you should contact a Philadelphia birth injury lawyer as soon as possible to discuss your legal options.
The Beasley Firm has been representing injured people in Philadelphia for over 50 years. We have a proven track record of success in birth injury cases, and we are dedicated to fighting for the rights of our clients. If you or your child has been injured at birth, we will work tirelessly to get you the compensation you deserve. Contact us today for a free consultation.
If you or a loved one in the Philadelphia area has suffered an injury due to medical negligence, it is important to contact a qualified and experienced birth injury lawyer as soon as possible. A reliable attorney can provide legal guidance that may be necessary to help families obtain justice, compensation and closure for their traumatic experience. With so many lawyers available, selecting the best Philadelphia birth injuries attorney for your case is essential. Be sure to research potential attorneys before making any decisions to ensure you are getting the highest quality of service and representation possible.