PC Gaming Setup For Streaming – Overview
Computer gaming was a hobby many years ago. It is something that you do in your spare time. It was never thought of, nor even considered as a career or something that would grow into something bigger than it is today.
Gamers now have the streaming platforms that allow them to stream live gaming events, share them with friends and family, challenge other gamers, and even make a living from it. Are you familiar with Ready Player One film? That’s how I envision the gaming world.
This article will help you to understand what you need for a PC Gaming Setup. We’ll also show you how to connect them all. There will be two setups: one for each computer and one for both. This is important to remember as you read.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED: some of these are optional
- Computer / Laptop
- Capture Card
- 2 HDMI Cable
- USB Cable
You can use a single or dual setup.
SINGLE – You’ll only need one computer/laptop for streaming and gaming. Although you can stream and play on a single computer, your computer must be capable of supporting both streaming and gaming ( Similar).
- RECOMMENDED (at minimum):
- i7 CPU
- 16 GB RAM
- NVIDIA GTX 970 and higher
DUAL-SETUP – You’ll have two computers/laptops. One for streaming, one for gaming. It freezes your main computer to ensure smooth gameplay.
- RECOMMENDED FOR YOUR Streaming Computer / Laptop (at minimum)
- i5 4670 and higher
- 8GB RAM
- Quad-core CPU, runs on Windows 10
- NVIDIA GTX650 or Higher
It doesn’t matter if you go with a Dual or Single Setup. We recommend that you have two screens/monitors. One screen is for streaming, and one for gaming. A TV can be used as your screen but a gaming monitor works better.
DUAL-SETUP Without a Capture card, you will not be able to record your gameplay. Capture Cards record your gameplay and stream it to another computer. Elgato Capture Card is required (Hey! You can find it on Amazon: HD60S+ / HD60S / 4K60PRO, 2 HDMI cables, and a USB cable.
SINGLE – No need to capture cards, all capturing will take place internally.
Any webcam can be used. You can use Dual Setup by simply plugging it into your streaming laptop.
Wireless, wired, and Bluetooth are all options. We love SteelSeries Arctis Pro. The setup is simple and the sound quality is excellent. You can also use the built-in mic to talk with your friends. Also, check out our Best Wireless Gaming Gear for PC
If you want to comment on your game, or live stream it, you will need to have the ability to do so. The USB types are simple to use. Just plug and play. It is also possible to set up a lapel mic or lavalier microphone.
HOW TO SET UP?
DUAL CONFIGURATION – If you have Elgato Pro 4k60 or HD60 Pro you will need to install it on your streaming PC. It won’t fit in a notebook.
Connect an HDMI cable to the HDMI output of your gaming computer graphics cards to the input port on the Elgato cap card. Next, connect another HDMI cable to the output port on the Elgato cap card to your HDMI input port on your TV or computer monitor that you are watching the gameplay.
Use HD60S / HD60S+ Connect a USB cable to the USB port on your steaming computer or laptop. You don’t need a USB cable to use HD60 Pro or 4k60 Pro, as they are already installed on your computer.
SINGLE – No capture Card.
HEADSET & MIC
DUAL-SETUP: Connect your headset and mic to your gaming computer.
SINGLE – Plug any adapters or cables that came with your headset into your computer.
- AUDIO CHECKLIST
- Turn up the volume on your headsets.
- All external speakers should be turned off.
- Turn down the volume if you are recording with a laptop.
- Reduce the volume of any monitor or TV connected to your setup.
- Your headset will only produce the sound.
Gaming with CHAT? DISCORD + VOCEETER
SINGLE or DUAL
Discord allows you to chat with friends while you play.
- Discord can be installed or opened on a browser. Register for an account (server), and then give it a nickname.
- Right-click on the main icon and select your friends to invite them.
- Go to Discord Settings, VOICE AND VIDEO should be set as default.
- If you only want to record your voice, switch to your headset’s output device.
- Set the input sensitivity to auto.
- Advanced: Make sure that all options are available
ONLY FOR DUAL SETUP – You’ll need a voice meeter to send your game audio and chat with your viewers.
- Start by downloading and installing
- Click the Start button and search for VB-Audio Folder. Then open Voicemeeter.
- Set A1 — headset if you’re using A2-Elgato capture cards, ensure that this A is colored.
- Go to settings – System settings
- OUT A2 – click on the number beside the driver. Click OK, and set the number to 256
Voicemeeter now sends your game audio to both your headphones and your streaming computer so that your viewers can also hear it.
SINGLE CONTACT –go into your gaming PC taskbar and right-click on the speaker icon. Choose sounds. Go to the playback tab, select your gaming headsets/PC headphone output.
DUAL-SETUP You can set the voice meeter to default for playback. To test, play music and you should hear sound coming from your headset.
MIC only DUAL-SETUP
- Select the microphone that is currently connected to your gaming computer from the recording tab and set it as default. Right-click on the mic, properties to adjust the volume.
- Click the LISTEN TAB to playback through this device menu. Next, select your Elgato cap card. Check to listen to this device and then click OK. This will ensure that your voice is in sync with your streaming/recording computer so it can be captured.
RECORD / STREAMING
You can use Elgato to record your gameplay. After editing your video, upload it. You will need a software encoder if you plan to stream on Twitch, YouTube Gaming, or Facebook Gaming. This will be discussed in a separate post. So stay tuned!