When you’re in a jam, who do you call? Your best bet is probably going to be your trusted friends and family. But what if you don’t have any close friends or family nearby? In that case, you may want to reach out for legal assistance. Here are some things to keep in mind when searching for a personal injury lawyer: experience, jurisdiction, fees, and more. By knowing these details, you will be able to make an informed decision when selecting one to represent you in court.
Types of Personal Injury Lawsuits
Types of personal injury lawsuits can generally be broken down into two main categories: negligence and product liability. Negligence lawsuits are filed when the plaintiff alleges that someone else, such as a doctor, driver, or manufacturer, was at fault for their injuries. Product liability lawsuits are filed when a product is alleged to have caused an injury. Other types of personal injury lawsuits include medical malpractice suits, wrongful death suits, and sexual assault lawsuits.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Personal Injury Attorney
When choosing a personal injury lawyer, there are a few factors to consider. First and foremost, find an attorney who you feel comfortable working with. It is important to have someone who will listen attentively to your concerns, provide sound advice, and help guide you through the legal process. Secondly, consider your legal situation. Do you have any pending civil or criminal litigation? Are you the victim of a car accident? These factors will impact how likely you are to win your case, and what type of legal representation is necessary. Finally, consider the cost of representation. A high quality personal injury lawyer will charge a fee based on their experience and expertise; however, some attorneys may offer lower rates if you agree to work with them on a contingency basis.
How to Find the Right Personal Injury Attorney?
When you are injured, it is important that you find the right personal injury attorney. There are a few things to look for when choosing an attorney:
- Experience. An experienced personal injury lawyer will have more knowledge about the law and will be better equipped to help you understand your case and what options are available to you.
- Availability. Make sure your attorney is available when you need him or her, whether that’s during office hours or by phone if you cannot make it into the office.
- Fees. Don’t get stuck with an attorney who charges high fees without providing quality services. Ask about fees up-front and be prepared to negotiate if necessary.
- Jurisdiction. Make sure your attorney has extensive experience in your specific jurisdiction, as this will ensure your case is handled in a competent manner.
- Skillset. Many times, an attorney’s skillset will include personal injury law, but not always (for example, criminal law may be a separate skill set). Be sure to ask about any additional areas of expertise the lawyer may have so that you can feel confident in his or her ability to handle your case properly.
The Process of Claiming a Personal Injury Case
If you have been injured in an accident, your first step is to seek medical attention. Once you are released from the hospital, you will want to speak with an attorney as soon as possible. Here are four things to look for when selecting a personal injury attorney:
- Licensing and Qualifications. Look for an attorney who has been licensed in your state for at least two years and has experience representing accident victims.
- Litigation Experience. An experienced lawyer will know how to handle a personal injury case from start to finish. Ask about their experience in courtrooms and obtaining verdicts on behalf of clients.
- Availability and Flexibility. Make sure the lawyer you choose is available to meet with you immediately following your accident and can be flexible with scheduling as the case progresses. You also want an attorney who is willing to take on additional cases if they prove successful in yours.
- Cost Considerations. Don’t settle for an attorney who charges high fees without ensuring that their skills and experience are worth it. Do your research before making a decision, so you can find an affordable legal representative who will help you recover damages from the person or company responsible for your injuries.
After reading this article, you should have a better understanding of what to look for in an attorney after being injured.